ARTIST/PAINTER Emmet Brickley
IE, Born 1992, Emmet Brickley’s enigmatic paintings are characterised by their combination of figurative depiction and dreamlike quality. Brickley draws on imagery sourced from the application Google Street View and various news media to craft images that exist in fantastical, timeless spaces that feel both personal and universal. Depictions of anonymous figures merge with the emotionally drawn landscapes where washes of pinks meet foreboding greys to create an uncanny tension that is integral to Brickley’s work.
Brickley’s work has been acquired for public, private, and corporate collections, including HEP Global and The Permanent Collection, University College Cork. In 2020, he was a recipient of the Arts Council of Ireland’s Covid-19 Grant.
Emmet Brickley graduated with his BFA at the Crawford College of Art and Design in Cork, Ireland in 2016. His work is concerned with the investigation of composition and the relationship between landscape and figurative painting.
Brickley’s work has been acquired for public, private, and corporate collections, including HEP Global and The Permanent Collection, University College Cork. In 2020 he was a recipient of the Arts Council Of Ireland’s Covid-19 Grant.
‘Swift’, Emmet Brickley , Oil on canvas, 2020
Brickley views the world from within his studio, examining interactive panoramic photographs on Google Street View. In locations where the application is not applicable, digital media archives are explored to source imagery. This practice reflects the manner in which the internet is altering our visual experience.
Brickley’s oil paintings reimagine the represented image through gestural mark-making and abstracting information through various painterly techniques. He seeks to capture emotional themes in the landscapes with weight given to the figures that are present as well as those absent. A distinct sense of atmosphere is created through scenes in which the foreground and background both defy and merge with each other.
‘Spectacle‘, Emmet Brickley, 2019, Oil on Canvas
ARTWORKS BY Emmet Brickley
BFA in Fine Art, Crawford College of Art & Design (2016)
- 2021: Solo exhibition, GOMA: Gallery of Modern Art, Waterford City.
- 2020: Solo exhibition, PAINTING 2020, LHQ Gallery, Cork City, Ireland.
- 2018: Two Person Show; ‘Are They Talking About Plants’, Povvera Gallery, Berlin, Germany.
- 2018: Solo Exhibition; ‘30-Minute Looking’, Filter, Cork City, Ireland.
- 2017: Solo Exhibition; ‘Is The Adjacent Possible’, Alliance Francaise Gallery, Cork City, Ireland.
- 2019: Winter Show, GOMA, Waterford City.
- 2018: Present, Past, Wandesford Quay Gallery, Cork City.
- 2016 & 2017: The Joan Clancy Gallery Group shows, Co. Kerry.
- 2017: Fledglings show, The Lavit Quay Gallery, Cork City.
- 2016: Cooked, Crawford College of Art & Design Degree Show, Cork City.
- 2015: Ascent, Crawford College of Art & Design Student Show, Cork Airport, Cork.
- 2015: FTLO Group Show, The Bottle Neck Gallery, NYC, USA
Also have been featured in the following:
- 2019: Nigel Cooke’s Selection: Hastings Contemporary; Digital Exhibit
- 2018: The Well Review, Issue 2
- 2017: Ryall Contemporary
- 2016: Cooked; CCAD Graduate Show
- I was one of 334 creatives across Ireland to receive the Arts Council of Ireland’s Covid-19 Grant. This was awarded to allow me to continue my art practice during the lockdown(s).
- 2016: Graduate Award Alliance Francaise de Cork.
- 2016: Joan Clancy Graduate Award.