“O’Neill’s brushstrokes have a fluidity,
a suggestive touch”
Sunday Independent, May 2020
O’Neill’s practice responds to the phenomena of Climate Change. Her work ranges from abstracted to figurative responding to loss of habitats and environmental damage due to a changing planet because of climate change due to global warming. Canvases range in size and are executed in oils, acrylics, and mixed media. O’Neill also draws as part of her visual practice and produces drawings using charcoal and ink.
Irene O’Neill is a Kildare Based artist who works in Dublin. She graduated from NCAD in 2019 and her Degree Thesis is held in the NCAD Library. Her practice is grounded in both drawing and painting. She uses collage using own and found photography to construct paintings. Since graduation Irene spent two years with BKB Studios in Dublin 13. She is currently based in Pallas Studios, Dublin 8. O’Neill is a member of Artnet Dun Laoire, and Nua Collective.
Through the media of colourful paintings and mixed media drawings O’Neill’s
work responds to our Environment. The work attempts to respond to the effects
of climate change with vivid abstracted paintings executed in oils, and acrylics. Her work responds to many aspects of climate change.
Atmospheric and vibrant landscapes are created with expressive mark making. As the paintings evolve the palette may change from hot to cool reflecting the constantly changing conditions of the planet. Her paintings at times may not reference recognisable forms but rather they deconstruct the landscape shifting the meaning and interpretation. Colourful paintings explore the idyllic solution of forestation and loose paintings abstracted respond to vegetation, undergrowth in a palette of vivid colours and shapes. Other work executed in drawings are abstracted and are inspired by Japanese ink drawing.
O’Neill also likes to create work based on collage responding and examining her own environment and home. O’Neill cites her influences as Katz, Frankenthaler, Caroline Walker, Diebenkorn, and Hockney.
Above: ‘Home’, Irene O Neill, Acrylic on paper 2019
2021: CPD in Drawing and Painting with RHA Gallery School accredited by Technology University, Dublin.
2019: BA Fine Art Painting, National College of Art and Design.
2016: Diploma Fine Art, CEAD, National College of Art and Design.
1986: Diploma Art in Industry and Commerce, DIT, Dublin.
- Winter open Exhibition. Courtyard Gallery and Studios Ennistymon. December 2020 – Jan 2021.
- BKB Studios in 2021
Artnet DLR – Exhibition online ‘Transition’. Spring 2021
- Online digital exhibitions include Artnet DLR, Nua Collective, Pepney Gallery, and Slow Lane Gallery.
- 2020 ‘Hindsight 2020’ Rua Red Winter Open, Tallaght, Dublin. – Painting ‘And the Forest Heals’ Exhibition December 2020 to January 2021.
- 2020 ‘Between You and Me’ CIACLA Contemporary Irish Arts Centre LA, USA. A series of online and in person events promoting Contemporary Art and Culture from leading Irish and Los Angeles based artists. August 2020 to February 2021.
- 2020 Art Net DLR, Dublin, Ireland. Autumn online Exhibition theme ‘Water’.
- 2019 ‘Emerging Artists Exhibition’, St Patricks University Hospital, Dublin in conjunction with NCAD (Two paintings selected for the hospital’s private collection).
- 2019 ‘Ideologies’ Group Show, Gorey, Wexford. Curator David Monaghan.
- 2019 NCAD Degree Show, BA Fine Art Paint, NCAD, Dublin 8
- 2018 Topopophilia , Temple Bar Gallery, Dublin.
- 2018 New Age, Creative Life Studio, MISA, St. James Hospital, Dublin.
- 2018 Crimes of Passion 11, Margaret Clarke Gallery, NCAD, Dublin.
- 2016 End of year Group show, CEAD, Design Building, NCAD, Dublin.
- 2015 North Kildare Artists Summer Show, Celbridge, Kildare
- What Lies Beneath Niall MacMonagle
Sunday Independent 24/5/2020