VISUAL ARTIST Pauline Gibbons
‘Human’s fascination with circles over the centuries – from the movement of planets around the sun, to clock hands, to a simple wedding band.’ – Diana Gabaldon
Cork visual artist Pauline Gibbons, creates light art and video installations. Moreover recent years she has concentrated on printmaking and book art. Gibbons was awarded the Galway University Purchase Prize at Impressions Biennale Galway Arts Week 2016 and also has a book in Leeds University library. He practice explores stone circles in Ireland. This research is laying the foundations for a new body of work both in print and painting.
Pauline Gibbons is a visual artist who graduated with first class honours from the Crawford College of Art and Design in 2015. Both private and public collectors including CIT Registrars collection have purchased her work and she has participated in a number of exhibitions to date. For her degree show she was awarded the Cork Art Society, Student of the Year Award 2015, CIT Science Week Award, which resulted in a solo exhibition, CIT Purchase Prize and a post grad resident CCAD award 2015. She was also awarded a 12-month residency with Backwater Artist’s Group. She is currently a member of Cork Printmakers.
‘Interiors II’, Pauline Gibbons, 2019.
‘Will o’ the Wisp’, Pauline Gibbons, 2019.
My work captures an Artist’s perception of sacred places in Ireland and is mainly about my my interpretation of stone circles and standing stones as both physical and historical markers in the landscape and their relationship with the man made markers in our contemporary environment.
I use colour and geometric shapes to highlight the disparity between the structural form of the stones and the reimagined human intervention. The use of vibrant colour and distortion allows for a surreal quality.
‘Untitled’, Pauline Gibbons, 2019.
ARTWORKS BY Pauline Gibbons
- June 2019 – Screaming Pope Prize, Finalist 2K19, at K-Fest.
- June 2018 – Winner of John Purcell Prize at Bainbridge Print Studio, London.
- July 2016 – Winner of Galway University Purchase Prize at Impressions Biennale Galway Arts Week.
- CIT Registrars collection
- Cork Art Society, Student of the Year Award 2015
- CIT Science Week Award
- CIT Purchase Prize
- Post Grad Resident CCAD award 2015
Residencies & Associations
- 12-month residency with Backwater Artist’s Group
- Cork Printmakers.
- November 2019 – Invited Artist at State of Print, Limerick City Gallery of Art.
- August 2019 – Invited Artist at Sean McCarthy Memorial Weekend, Finuge, Listowel, Co. Kerry.
- June 2019 – Part of State of Print, Crawford College of Art Exhibition Space, 46 Grand Parade Cork, Cork City Hall and Cork Printmakers
- June 2019 – Selected Artist and finalist at K-Fest, Killorglin
- April /May 2018 – selected artist at Print.ed #5, Barcelona.
- January 2018 – Selected Artist – Volumes, A large scale prinst installation Crawford College of Art Exhibition Space, 46 Grand Parade Cork.
- December 2018 – Selected Artist at GOMA, Gallery of Modern Art, Annual Members Exhibition
- December 2018 – Selected artist at Trasna 8, group print exhibiton at The Courthouse Gallery, Ennistyum, Co. Clare.
- September 2018 – Invited Artist – State of Print, funded by Culture Ireland and opened in Spain September 2018, currently being exhibited in Norwich, and plans to exhibit in Dundee, Scotland in March 2019 and then Limerick and Cork.
- September 2018 – Invited Artist – Impact 10, Sandtander Spain , a print collaboration between Limerick School of Art and Crawford College of Art.
- June 2018 – Selected Group Exhitbition, Bainbridge Open 2018, to coincide with Bainbridge Print Studios’ 10th birthday, where I received the John Purcell Prize.
- December 2017 – The Present, Past , Selected Group Exhibition of works from Crawford College of Art and Design students and graduates, at Wandesford Quay Gallery, Cork.
- June 2017 – Invited Artist – Norwich University of the Arts, Norwich UK and Crawford College of Art & Design, Cork.
- October/November 2016 – Curated and exhibited in a Selected Group exhibition at Blackrock Castle Cork as part of Science Week and Maths Week.
- July 2016 – Impressions Print Biennalle, Selected Group Exhibition. An Leabhar Choirt, Hand made book of birch bark. Winner of Galway University Purchase Prize at Impressions Biennale Galway Arts Week.
- May 2016 – Curated and exhibited in Tweet Box at the Atrium, Cork City Hall.
- March 2016 – Invited Artist – Affective Entities, Selected Group Exhibition at CIT Wandesford Quay Art Gallery and part of the Make Symposion 2016.
- February 2016 – Lavit Gallery, Cork, Student of the Year Award, exhibition.
- January 2016 – Invited Artist, Art in Style – One of four artists exhibiting work for Create Project, a collabroation between Brown Thomas Cork and Crawford College of Art & Design.
- December 2015 – Invited Artist at exhibition of Tweet Boxes at Lismore Castle.
- December 2015 – Selected Group Exhibition ‘All things considered’ Cork Printmakers Members Exhibition.
- November 2015 – Solo Exhibition – 22 26 30 32 36 40 42 48 50 // DRAWING
- IN NEW LIGHT at the James Barry gallery, C.I.T., as part of Science Week.
- November 2015 – Invited Artist at the Snap Printmaking symposium, Bentlage, Germany.
- 2015 – Invited Artist Culture Night Graduate Exhibition, CCAD, Cork.
- 2015 Invited Artist Group Exhibition, Tweet Box, a collaborate print exhibition with Crawford College of Art and Design and Limerick School of Art and Design held at China Academy of Art, Hangzhou, China and Lismore Castle, Co. Waterford.
- 2015 Group Exhibition, We Do Not Leave Pyramids, Crawford College of Art and Design.
- 2014 Invited Artist -Solo Exhibition, Skins, at Triskel Arts Centre, part of Quarter, Arts & Entertainment.