ARTIST Anne Martin Walsh
‘Lest we forget.’
Emphasis regarding the dangers
of failing to remember.
My practice revolves around painting, photography and printmaking, sometimes installed in combination with sculptural elements. Central to this work are themes that relate to our natural environment.
Anne Martin Walsh completed a Masters in Fine Art at CIT Crawford College of Art & Design, Cork in January, 2019, and a BA (Hons 1st class) in Art from the Wexford Campus School of Art & Design, IT Carlow, 2017.
Having collaborated on occasion with a diviner, Martin Walsh visits ancient sites and ruins, using her divination skills to connect with the earth, getting a sense of ‘what lies beneath’. She likes to engage in quiet conversation with nature, gleaning knowledge from an intimate connection with the elements and then using this experience to produce art which invokes a sense of spirituality and an awareness of ongoing environmental issues, without reference to any structured religious groups.
My research involves an examination of geomagnetic ley-lines, ancient sites, Sheela-na-gig and rituals such as divination.
I like to engage in quiet conversation with nature, gleaning knowledge from an intimate connection with the elements and then using this experience to produce art which invokes a sense of spirituality and an awareness of ongoing environmental issues. All of these research sources are important in my ongoing inquiries, as I see this exploration as imperative to a way of re-connecting with the earth and creating a new visual language.
‘Firestorm’ Anne Martin Walsh, 2020
Residencies & Awards
- Awarded an Artlinks Bursary 2020 by Wexford County Council Arts Department.
- WCC & WAC Living Arts Project, Artist Residency Programme, 2019/2020
- WCC & WAC Living Arts Project Workshop (Assistant Artist). April 2019
- WCC & WAC Living Arts Project, Artist Residency Programme, 2017. (Assistant Artist).
- January 16 – January 30, 2020: VIBRATION. Embracing a Higher Connection to Our Planet, curated by Anya Gosseln. Kamera 8, 5 Rowe Street, Wexford.
- August 3 – October 3, 2020: Places We Love, Artlink Members Virtual Show at artlinkonline.ie
- July 31 – October 7, 2020: Stories from Lismore and beyond, The Main Gallery, Lismore Castle Arts. Lismore, Co. Waterford
- March 20 – May 8, 2020: The 5th Annual Open Call Exhibition, The Presentation Centre, Enniscorthy. Online and in situ.
- February 10 – October 5, 2020: HERE TOGETHER: Architectures of Belief & Rhythms of Ritual. A collaborative exhibition in Carlow College/St. Patrick’s, Carlow.
- December 14, 2019 – January 12, 2020: FORCE/EFFECT/RESPONSE (joint exhibition) The Creative Hub, Main Street/Malin Street, Wexford.
- November 23 – December 15, 2019: ARTFORM Annual Contemporary Art Fair, 44 The Quay, Waterford.
- October 20 – November 3, 2019: WEX – ART ’19, 7 Slaney Street, Wexford.
- August 2 – 5, 2019: EAT 2019. Enniscorthy, Co Wexford.
- April 25 – May 2, 2019. Catch 2019. The Nude THE SEA The Muse. Stella Maris Centre, Kilmore Quay, Wexford.
- March 15 – May 10, 2019. The A.O.C. Presentation Centre, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford.
- January 26 – March 16, 2019: Open Submission Show 2019. Green Acres Gallery, Wexford.
- November 29 – December 14, 2018: Memories of a Nervous System. MA in Art and Process, CIT CRAWFORD College of Art & Design Graduate Exhibition, 46 Grand Parade, Cork
- January 27– February 24, 2018: Open Submission Show 2018. Green Acres Gallery, Wexford.
- November 2017 – January 2018: Visibility. Dunamaise Arts Centre, Portlaoise, Co. Laois.
- August 2017: 21st National Open Art competition (shortlisted). Exhibited on their online gallery.
- May – June 2017: Beyond these Walls. Ba (Hons) Fine Art Degree Exhibition, The Arts Centre, Wexford.
- March 2016: Enigma: a journey into the unconscious mind. Unit 1, Drinagh, Wexford.
- May 2015: Tunnel Vision. IT Carlow Wexford Campus School of Art and Design, Hill Street, Wexford.
- December 2014: Go with the Flow. IT Carlow Wexford Campus School of Art and Design, Hill Street, Wexford.
- May – June 2014: Out of Focus. Gorey School of Art, Co. Wexford
- CIT Crawford College of Art and Design, Cork. Masters of Art in Art and Process, 2019.
- ITCarlow, Wexford School of Art and Design; BA Hons (1st Class) Fine Art Degree, 2017.
- Gorey school of Art, Co. Wexford; QQI Level 6, 2014. (awarded 9 distinctions)
- Waterford Regional Hospital School of Nursing; Diploma in General Nursing, 1985.